This is a good article…My Brown Baby
It is not something I had to “deal” with yet because Em is only 8 months old.
Husband is from West Africa and I’m...well...American…LOL
I say it like that because I grew up all over this country.
Because of my complexion I’ve been asked, “What are you?” since I was in the 5th grade.
I remember the first time somebody asked me.
We were living in Hawaii and I was on the school playground during recess. One of the girls asked me,
“What’s your nationality?”
I didn’t understand the question.
I didn’t know how to answer.
I think I said something like, “American” or “I don’t know.”
In Hawaii, most people are very proud of their heritage or nationality.
I remember girls saying, “I’m Filipino.” “I'm Samoan” “I’m Japanese” or “I’m from the Big Island”
Well, between then, 1989, and 2011 I’ve been asked that question about 100 billion times.
Maybe it is me, but I can’t help but think that people are a little disappointed when I tell them “I’m Caucasian”.
I’m sure its just me.
Maybe I’m disappointed that I’m “just white.”
So I spin it a little and say, “I’m a white girl with brown skin”
People seem to get a kick out of that.
It is funny. I can almost ALWAYS tell when someone is about to ask me…ALMOST.
They look at me…sort of sideways, but almost always with a smile but usually a little nervous. Like they are afraid of what I might tell them.
“Soooooo, I know it’s a weird question, buuuttttt, what are you?’
“WHAT, HOW DARE YOU ASK ME THAT!!!!!! YOU ARE SO RACIST!”
LOLOLOL
Nah. I just say what I always say…”Oh I get asked that a lot, I’m just a white girl with brown skin”
Thoughts?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! Yours is a beautiful family, and I wish that it didn't matter to people "what" we are, but it does. I love your answer. My prayer is that you will find the right words to help your baby navigate this mess, where people never seem to be satisfied with the fact that we are all HUMAN.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
D.
@Denene
ReplyDeleteThanks D, I appreciate that!
You have a beautiful family. What's wrong with brown skin? Most American wants to have one so they spend time on the beach or in the tanning salon.
ReplyDeleteYeah, what Darvon said. LOL
ReplyDeleteI can imagine that you get asked that a lot. My brother who really is mixed gets mistaken for being Hispanic. People will literally just start talking to him in Spanish.
My son has a very fair complexion and I know people look at us sideways. I'm sure he will get the "what are you" question all of the time, especially living in Arizona.
The funny thing is that, when I lived in DC, EVERYONE has this sort of olive complexion and no one knows what anyone is. I kinda liked that.
Wow, what a great post!
ReplyDeletexx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
first off, i am so glad i found your blog!
ReplyDeletesecond, i know you how you feel in anyways. i am black american and my husband is hawaiian, chinese, and white. people are always trying to figure us out. we have both had people speak to us in spanish, my husband moreso than me. when we are together, people have absolutely no clue what's going on. and i know that it will get crazier once we have children!
glad to meet other people who share these sympathies :)
looking forward to future posts. happy new year!