This particular post might seem a little long and it is only "Part 1". My additional posts regarding this topic will be and are smaller. I feel like I am in the middle of learning something that can change my life and I really want to share it...Thanks :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm
119:68
You
are good and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.
Earlier in the year I posted about my greatest fears and my fear of
irony. My Biggest Fears and How I Fight Them.
Later I posted how I am learning that God hears our prayers
and they are validated and all the good things promised to us aren’t just for
heaven.
But what is “Good”?
It seemed to me lately that my definition of good is way different than God’s
definition of good.
My definition of good is basically anything not bad. It’s
good to have a job, house, food, resources, fun, friends, family, health, and
all those other things that make you feel, well…Good!
I was feeling pretty positive about life and our
circumstances until one particular session of the Beth Moore Breaking Free study.
It was during the video session where she explained we cannot
avoid fiery trials.
I already knew this to be true, but I did not want to be reminded
of it!
Here are some verses she used:
Job 4:4-5
4 Your words have supported those who stumbled;
you have strengthened faltering knees.
5 But now trouble comes to you, and you are
discouraged;
it strikes you, and you are dismayed.
Acts 14:22
22 strengthening the
disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through
many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said.
1 Peter 4:12
12 Dear friends, do not be
surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though
something strange were happening to you.
Ugh!
And WHY do we have to suffer through trials?
1 Peter 1:6-9
6 In all this you greatly
rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all
kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your
faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire
—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though
you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now,
you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for
you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
So that God is glorified.
Oh…
I don’t feel better knowing the reason why.
But I accepted it and tucked it away and continued on
with my duties as a mom and wife.
Now lately, I have not been able to sleep through the night.
For one reason or another I wake up, whether it is for my nightly bathroom trip,
or Em cries and wakes up, or it is just so dang hot I cannot sleep. Whatever the reason why it is that I woke up,
the problem is I can’t get back to sleep. My brain has turned on and now it won’t turn
off.
I start thinking about our own personal un-answered prayers.
And those old fears resurface. The ones that I thought I had conquered.
So we all suffer
fiery trials… It is inevitable. The worse is going to happen to me.
I try to pray to ease
my mind and after an hour or two I finally fall asleep. But it just happens
again the next night and the next.
One particular night, I was very hot (we don’t have central
air) and I was trying to get comfortable and cool and I was thinking about the
Breaking Free video I watched earlier in the week.
I was praying and I told God, but in an angry
fashion,
“Fine…take everything I love away from me, if that is “your will” and
its for your purposes and glory than I will just accept it and be fine with it
all.”
Not that I was
challenging God, but more like angrily surrendering my fears.
But then another thought came to me. It might not be God’s
will for me to experience my greatest fears. What if it is his will to just
keep my current prayers unanswered?
Well that just ticked me off. What if God doesn’t want
things to change for us?
What if it is God’s will for us to just remain where
we are, where things are not changing?
This made me really angry!
I was mad at God that I was so
hot and that I couldn’t sleep and that he wasn’t answering my long-standing
prayers and that he lets faithful people go through terrible things and times
of long waiting but we are supposed to be okay with that because it is all for
his glory.
I was mad at God and
I told him. Then I finally fell asleep.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I will Post Part 2 soon. I don't stay angry very long :)
0 comments :
Post a Comment