Today while I was returning a Red Box movie at a kiosk outside the Walgreens I saw a man walking towards me from across the street. He didn’t look menacing but he didn’t look harmless. You ever get that feeling like “Ugh, this person is going to talk to me” Well I got that feeling. I parked right in front of the Kiosk and left Em in the car. When I saw him coming, I locked the car doors. I returned my movie and as I’m opening the car door, the man yells “Excuse me miss, Do you have 75 cents so I can catch the bus”
I said “No, I’m sorry I don’t” And then got in the car.
I have an entire cup holder worth’s of change. But in the .05 seconds it took me to answer, I imagined myself opening the car door and him shoving me in it and driving us away.
So I said “no”.
I lied.
I kinda felt bad. If I had 75 cents in my pocket I’m pretty sure I would have said yes and given it to him, but the fact that I had to unlock the car, and count out change…I decided that was too risky.
If he was she and was asking me for change, I don’t think I would have said “no”. If he had a woman or child with him, I’m pretty positive I would have given it to him. But there is just something about a solitary man, approaching a woman with a child that just seems uncomfortable.
I also experienced this when I was 7 months pregnant. It was my first time flying on a business trip, my first pregnancy and my first time flying pregnant. LOL
And I was flying alone. I was a bundle of nerves. The flight was delayed and everyone was standing around waiting to board. Em was a kicker and I almost always had my hand on my belly pushing her foot back into my stomach. While waiting, I kept catching this mans eye.
I KNEW he was watching me.
It made me uncomfortable.
I prayed…”Dear Lord, please don’t make me sit next to that man”
God is funny.
That is the man I was seated next to on the flight.
As I was sitting down next to him, he mentioned something about me rubbing my belly. I was so taken back that I was seated next to him and so nervous I didn’t really hear him. I muttered something like “yeah”. He didn’t say a word the whole rest of the flight. It was about 3 hours. I must’ve had a look on my face that said what I was thinking. “DO NOT TALK TO ME.”
As I was sitting down next to him, he mentioned something about me rubbing my belly. I was so taken back that I was seated next to him and so nervous I didn’t really hear him. I muttered something like “yeah”. He didn’t say a word the whole rest of the flight. It was about 3 hours. I must’ve had a look on my face that said what I was thinking. “DO NOT TALK TO ME.”
Again, it makes me VERY VERY uneasy when a solitary man approaches me when I have my baby with me.
I’m sure both these men are fine men…
But I also really don’t think I’m alone in my uneasiness.
So to those solitary men out there just looking to chat or ask for change… Don’t take it too personal.
I’m just watching out for me and my baby.
Its Not You…Its Us.


I agree completely. I'm always doing a weirdo/threat assessment of solitary men approaching me or me and my kids. Once before I had kids I had two men in the span of two minutes ask me for train fare. I didn't give them money or even an explanation. Just a quick "no" and away I went. I was at the ymca once recently with kid #1 and a solitary man said hi to us and something about him gave me the creeps. I'm definitely on higher alert now with kids. Funny post, Tiff!!
ReplyDeleteDude, I'm not a big blog reader, didn't know you wrote a blog, and honestly I clicked your lick cause I was hoping it was a funny video. But I actually read the whole thing (be proud of me) and I was just wondering if my mustache would increase the chances of you talking to me in the scenario that I was an individual guy engaging conversation?
ReplyDeleteYou can be honest. Heck no you wouldn't talk to this creeper! Seriously whereever I go little kids always make eye contact and laugh at me, but I don't talk to them cause I know it would creep out the mom. Chicks have good instincts. Trust them. I'm all for talking to and helping a stranger out, I've litterally taken the shirt off my back and given it to fly a homeless guy (truth game- probably cause I knew it would make a good sermon illustration one day) so I give money, buy meals, give rides, spend time talking, even hugged total strangers in need... But I don't want gretchen doing that with isla if she gets a funny feeling. God felt bad for those whom he disnt give the ability to grow creepy mustaches so he gave them instincts. But when your with Frankie or someone now you gotta go out of your way to brighten the day of someone in need, sort of a "pay it forward" thing.
Jeff
that was my first comment i've ever made on a blog, and the lack of ability to fix my typos when writing from my phone coupled with the ridiculously gay font that they made my comment come up in has assured me that this is gonna be my last comment on blogs. but thanks for giving me another social experience (oh and thanks for the dunkin donuts coffee the other day!!)
ReplyDeleteTiff, if I make an entry in your post, would you buy me a Dunkin donut coffee and/or blueberry muffin? Just wondering...
ReplyDelete