Where I am Now has moved, searching new verylegendaryee...

Saturday, August 4, 2012

I'm Sorry if I Judged You...

Parents that leash their kids. Its true, if I saw a kid on a leash I would make a quick judgement about the parents. Like "Wow, they cant control their kid..." or "How lazy is that?" That was before I had kids. Or kid. Or Flight Risk. Basically my tot likes to run. And she LOVES to run away. She thinks it funny and knows that I am a lot slower these days and she takes advantage for sure. We cant really enjoy the little bit of a porch we have because girlfriend wants to run in the grass, then down the sidewalk, down the stairs and far away. She has escaped from me out of her stroller at the mall, and not just any mall, I am talking one of the biggest malls on the East Coast. She has ran away from me in the parking lot while and at the doctors office. I took her to a little amusement park and I wrote on her arm her name and our phone number in case she ran away from me. She just loves to run! She runs around after church saying "Running!!! Excited". It must be so freeing and fun...for her.
All this to say that I WANT to leash my girl, but I'm afraid of what people will think.
You might say "What about a stroller?" Well lets be honest, a stroller is a form of leashing your kid, except they are seated and you push them around. But Em often cries and begs to come "OUT?!" or "DOWN PLEASE!?" I don't give in on most cases, but I would like her to be able to walk next me, safely. And there has been a time or too when it was just too much hassle to get the stroller out for a quick run into the store. And then there was the time the stroller was left in the other car.
If I had a leash or could tether her somehow, she would have the freedom of walking/running, but right next to me at all times and I wont have to worry about chasing her or losing her because I am too pregnant and slow to catch up.
However, the leashes out there are still a little to "doggy" for my liking.
Child Leashes


Some are made a little more child friendly looking. like a monkey or lady bug backpack. Im sure the reasoning for the current models are due to safety. They just look so contraption-like.
Then there is this...
The Fanny Pack Child Leash
This reminds me to much of an umbilical cord and a Fanny Pack...REALLY! No Thanks.

Then there is the wrist leash...
Wrist Leash
This option is the most appealing to me. It seems less "doggy".
But I'm too chicken to do it and will deal.
I say that now, but when our second baby arrives and  is coming soon, I might give in.
Yeah, probably not ;)
Even while just grabbing these images I see comments people are making and they are just so mean!

Either way, to leash or not to leash, I am not as judgmental anymore and I sympathize with the folks that choose to leash and even give them kudos for their bravery. And we all need a little less judging right?!




9 comments :

  1. new to your blog and now follow thru GFC. if you have time to look at my blog and follow, too, it would make my day! found your blog thru the weigand's blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the child leashes! We had little houdini kids, too, and the only way to keep them out of harm's way (and oncoming cars) was to leash them. The kids loved the little monkeys and ever wore them around the house 'just for fun.' We only stopped leashing because the boys discovered that if they both ran in circles, they could tangle mommy up and make her fall down. Sure, we got some snide comments from people - but toddlers are willfull and we decided we'd rather deal with judgmental people who don't understand than allow our kids to disappear or get run over. Now our kids are old enough to just hold our hands and we've retired the monkeys - but they still like to wear them around the house now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Thats like the episode of Modern family with the leashes...
      Ive heard a ton of positives about leash since posting. Im starting to warm up to the idea. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  3. I tend to judge too. But then I think, "Hey, don't knock it til you try it." :))

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have an extra one. :) someone with twins gave me hers, so for real, if you want to try one w/o paying for one i'll send it your way. its like a 5 point harness with a leash. lol. :) love your blog tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I totally get this! I've been debating about getting my Evelyn one of those backpack leashes. It seems like more of a sane idea every time we go out and she runs wild in the clothing racks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considering it more and more all the time!

      Delete
  6. {sigh}....here's the thing. Don't worry about others judging you because they shouldn't be. Do what works well for your family and obviously a child leash is the way to go. It is keeping your daughter safe. You will be judged much more if god for bid something happened to her. Everybody parents differently. Rock out that leash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Everyday I get closer and closer to not caring about the glares and am considering it!

      Delete